The top benefits of citrus for skin
When you say the word “citrus”, what comes to mind? A zesty lemon? A refreshing orange? Cakes, cookies and liqueurs? We’re here to tell you that citrus is so much more than just an invigorating taste in the culinary world; it’s a top ingredient in skincare. Which is why Dawn Men Energy Body Lotion with “Citrus Burst” is a great option to fight ageing, brighten the skin, tighten pores and increase overall skin radiance.
Here are just some of the reasons to love citrus in skincare:
The citrus family includes lemon, mandarins, lime, orange, grapefruit and citron. Citrus fruits are often described as a treat for the senses. The smell and the taste of these fruits are both refreshing and revitalising. So, it makes sense that citrus can offer your skin the same benefits.
Citrus has many health benefits when consumed. It’s rich in fibre, low in calories, can help protect against cancerous cells, prevent kidney stones, boost heart health, ward off neurodegenerative diseases, and so much more. Of course, we all know that citrus is a go-to remedy for colds and flu, thanks to its ability to strengthen the immune system and fight off illness.
When it comes to skin, the benefits of citrus are also plentiful. Citrus is rich in Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), one of the most beneficial ingredients in skincare. From anti-ageing and anti-inflammatory to soothing and brightening - this vitamin supports your skin in numerous ways.
Here are the top six reasons that we love citrus for skin:
● Vitamin C is an antioxidant and protects skin cells from damaging free radicals caused by UV exposure.
● It can help prevent and treat hyperpigmentation, giving you brighter, more radiant skin.
● Vitamin C promotes collagen production, which has the potential to strengthen the skin and diminish fine lines. This further helps to maintain the skin’s elasticity.
● It also helps prevent premature signs of ageing and is essential for firm, youthful skin.
● Particular applications of citrus can assist with wound healing, making it great for rashes or breakouts. This is because it builds connective tissue, promotes cell turnover, and provides antibacterial and antioxidant support to your skin. This benefit alone makes it the perfect ingredient for healthy skin!
● Citrus contains an acid called alpha hydroxyl (AHA), which offers a natural exfoliation that works by removing the top layers of dead skin cells.
How to use citrus in your skincare routine
Citrus is commonly used in skincare, thanks to its refreshing scents and bountiful benefits. Here are just some of the ways you can reap the benefits of this zesty ingredient:
1. Grub’s Up!
Skincare starts from the inside out. Make sure to include a variety of citrus in your diet. How about infusing your daily water intake with fresh lime or lemon for a citrus kick? A daily Vitamin C supplement will not only offer your health a boost, but your skin will thank you for it too.
2. Use It Straight from The Source
Citrus fruits can be applied directly to the skin - provided you don’t have sensitive skin. We suggest doing a quick patch test on your wrist to ensure that you don’t have any hidden allergies. Citrus is highly acidic and should be used in small doses on the skin for short periods.
Here’s how to safely apply fresh lemon juice directly to your skin:
● Squeeze a small amount of juice from a fresh lemon onto a cotton ball and gently apply to the desired area of skin. Make sure not to rub or aggravate the skin and don’t apply to any open sores, pimples, or wounds.
● Once the lemon juice dries, rinse off thoroughly.
● Continue with the rest of your routine as usual.
3. Look for Skincare That Includes Citrus in The Ingredients List
From serums to lotions, opt for skin products that offer citrus benefits. A citrus cleanser or toner can be invigorating and give your daily routine a citrus jumpstart. We love giving our body the benefits of citrus with the Dawn Men Energy Revitalizing Body Lotion Dawn. This lotion has been expertly formulated to combat dry skin and is enriched with a burst of citrus to boost anti-ageing, brighten the skin, tighten the pores and give you a healthy, nourished glow.
Of course, it’s also non-greasy, fast-absorbing and provides deep moisturisation to protect dry skin for up to 48 hours.